This is probably the most painful financial lesson I've learned.
I bought BTC and ETH very early.
Much earlier than I would have expected in hindsight.
I held through enormous volatility.
Eventually, I sold my BTC around $65,000 and my ETH around $4,000.
At the time, those numbers felt incredible.
I had made substantial gains.
Then I discovered leveraged trading through social media. And that's where everything changed.
I started using leverage. And eventually I lost essentially everything I had made in crypto ; and my original capital as well.
Years of patiently accumulating and holding were undone by a much shorter period of leveraged trading.
The frustrating part is that I didn't need leverage.
I had already done the part that required patience.
I had bought early. I had held through volatility. I had realized substantial gains.
And then I convinced myself that I could make even more by trading with leverage.
I couldn't.
I gave it all back.
Looking back, the lesson seems embarrassingly simple:
Don't turn an investment into a casino just because you've made money on it.
Making a large return doesn't mean you suddenly have an edge at short-term trading.
And leverage doesn't make you a better investor.
It simply makes your mistakes happen faster and with larger consequences.
My stock investing history has a similar pattern.
I repeatedly sold winners after relatively modest gains and DCA'd into losers.
With crypto, I did almost the opposite: I built a successful long-term position and then destroyed the result by introducing leverage.
So I've ended up learning the same lesson from two completely different directions:
I kept trying to do something instead of simply letting a good investment compound.
My current philosophy is therefore much simpler:
Diversify.
Keep costs low.
Avoid leverage.
Don't confuse a falling price with a bargain.
Don't confuse a rising price with a reason to sell.
And if I can't explain exactly why I'm making a trade, I probably shouldn't be making it.
My boring conclusion after all of this?
DCA into a diversified global ETF or or a basket of mixed cryptocurrencies (from the top 10), keep a sensible allocation, and leave it alone.
You probably won't become rich overnight.
But you also remove a huge number of opportunities to sabotage yourself.
I hope someone reading this who is currently discovering leverage through social media learns this lesson without having to pay for it the way I did.
[link] [comments]
from Cryptocurrency News & Discussion https://ift.tt/3CtLNTe
via
No comments:
Post a Comment